On a lot of shows I've had, it seemed like a lot of people didn't know what the right pose for a wolf will win (no offense, of course :). This page will show you what kind of poses will win and a little on how I judge.
The points I focus on in judging are the head, ears, eyes, tail, front legs, back legs, shoulders, topline, chest, and belly. 5 points for each which adds up to 50.
1. Head-Very nice, to the side like a wolf pose should be. But I can tell it's
turned a little so that earns her a 4.
2. Ears-Up straight and pointed forward, but because the head is a little turned it throws off the ears. I would give her ears a 4.
3. Eyes-Very good! Only one eye showing and looking at the camera. 5!
4. Tail-This is excellent too! Nicely curved to her back. 5.
5. Front Legs-Nice and put together, but you can see some of the outside leg. 4.
6. Back legs-All right, but because of the slightly turned body you can see the outside leg sticking out. 3.
7. Shoulders-Straight at first then curves a little at the elbow. Very good! 5.
8. Topline-Dipping from the neck and to the hind. Very good! 5.
9. Chest-Nicely puffed out, but could be puffed a little more, 4.
10. Belly-Puffed at the ribcage and tucks a little at the hind legs. Because of the slightly turned body, you can't see it very much, so 4. (Note: Fat wolves will lose points on this one, keep your wolf in shape.)
Total-43. Very good for this puppy picture. Notice how the slight turn of the body threw almost everything else off.
1. Head-Excellent! Held high with pride. 5.
2. Ears-Very, very good! Pointed forward and up. You can only see one ear. 5.
3. Eyes-Very good too! Only one eye is shown and it's looking at the camera. 5.
4. Tail-This is very nice, but it could be curved a little more. 4.
5. Front Legs-Feet together and you can almost see only one. 4.
6. Back legs-This is excellent out of my other wolves! 5.
7. Shoulders-Like Cascade's, they are straight at first then curves a little at the elbow. 5.
8. Topline-Good, but since the tail isn't curved enough, the hind isn't up enough. 4.
9. Chest-Nicely puffed out! 5.
10. Belly-Sticking out at the ribcage and really tucked in at the back legs! 5.
Total-47. Excellent for him! I've noticed that most puppies can do better poses than adults, but he did very well!
Copyright © 1999-2000, by Alix.